Performance management is considered an effective approach for evaluating employee’s performance in a certain company or workplace. There are some general assessed area’s which depicts worker performance and it includes ability to complete task, organizational and management skills, intelligence, efficiency, work speed, relationship with others, future goals and many others. Due to its immense importance the human resources experts and psychologists have developed various systems which will assist in performance assessments.
The general methodology which is observed in many companies is that the review is carried out by the member of the management committee or a person whose position is higher than the employee being assessed. He can do this by merely doing simple discussions or take help of technology and do statistical evaluations with the help of graphs and set certain benchmarks to see how employee is completing his duties. He can make a check list or take a main incident while doing evaluation or make notes of employee’s current proceedings and work efficiency.
Self-evaluation is also considered as an important type of performance evaluation. In this employee judge, his own performance and that is considered to be of vital importance because an honest personal evaluation can definitely enhance one’s performance. He can do this by filling a survey of multiple choice questions or doing discussion with his higher authorities. By end of the survey, he will find out that there are many areas of improvement for him. As an employer one should be well familiar with his role and knows what company or organization is expecting from him. He should ask questions from himself that where he is expecting himself in next 3-5 years? What is his role for the betterment of the company?
Self or personal evaluation is useful but also has some major drawbacks. A self-assumed and self-led appraisal in all aspects will inevitably lead to blind spots and left no room for improvement in future because person thinks he is perfect and has no flaw . However, in reality to overcome these weaknesses will lead him to success in the future. The basic flaw in this sort of evaluation is employee assessment of his own will, and own perception of utmost importance, which in most of the cases differ from people who work with him.
Best Performance Management System
The most effective and near to reality performance management and evaluation system is 360 degree feedback. It involves the following actions and factors:
- Gathering a comprehensive understanding of employee personality and his overall performance from numerous sources.,
- One should get the survey form filled from his colleagues, managers and clients,
- The 360 degree feedback is kept confidential and is genuinely anonymous. There is a scoring system which sums up in the end and gives clear picture of one’s performance,
- Keeping confidentiality, every person gives honest and unbiased opinion as he is sure that his identity would not be revealed, and his relationship with that person won’t be affected. The results of 360 degree feedback are proven and definitely show the blind spots which are not seen in self-evaluation.
- The authenticity is also unchallengeable as the information is gathers from different sources rather than a single source,
- That provides a comprehensive improvement plan having feedback which increases the employer’s efficiency and company get the maximum output from his abilities by utilizing them properly.
Other Performance Management Diagrams – 2014